I had an early morning coffee with Colbert Matsumoto today on Bishop Street in Honolulu. Colbert and I first had lunch over ten years ago at the Bankers Club and we’ve remained in touch ever since.
Colbert is Executive Chairman of the Board at Island Insurance. The company was recently named a Top 50 property & casualty insurer in the nation for a ninth consecutive year.
Here are some of my takeaways from the man that communicates beyond words:
- Loves our resiliency.
- FOMO (Fear of Missing Out) happens in Hawaii too.
- Brain Drain in Hawaii is getting worse, not better.
- Buyer Psychology is important. “There’s comfort in name brands.”
- Enjoys getting to know my hanai brother Forest Frizzell better.
- “It’s human nature to limit our ability to hear different perspectives.”
- “Your being can communicate more than your words.”
- There isn’t a need to convince others of my sense of Hawaiian, there is no need to advertise it. It can be strong within.
SEE ALSO: Long Story Short With Leslie Wilcox: Colbert Matsumoto [PBS Hawaii]
About Island Insurance
Island Insurance has been serving families and businesses across Hawaii for over 75 years. Guided by its founding philosophy of providing affordable insurance options for the people of Hawaii, Island Insurance has grown into Hawaii’s largest locally owned and managed property and casualty insurance company and has achieved recognition as one of the Top 50 property and casualty insurance companies in the nation for nine consecutive years.