The Paubox HIPAA Breach Report analyzes protected health information (PHI) breaches affecting 500 or more people as reported to the HHS in March 2018.
HIPAA Breaches Ranked by People Affected
Top Three Breach Types
- Email breaches ranked the highest with 89,180 people’s PHI hacked or stolen in March.
- Electronic Medical Record breaches ranked second with PHI of 64,621 people breached.
- Network Server breaches came in a distant third with 38,689 people having their PHI breached.
Bottom Three Breach Types
- Desktop Computer ranked as the lowest number of people’s PHI being breached in March with 662 breaches.
- Other Portable Electronic Device was the second lowest type of breach as ranked by people affected with 6,707.
- Other was the third lowest type of breach as ranked by people affected with 10,793.
HIPAA Breaches Ranked by Occurrence
The Most Common
- Email took the top spot as the most common breach type in March with 6 reported breaches.
- Paper/Films came in as the second most common breach type with 5 incidents.
- Other, Laptop, and Other Portable Electronic Device came in tied for third with 4 reported breaches each in March.
Email once again ranked first in both categories: Breaches Ranked by People Affected and Breaches Ranked by Occurrence. The last time email ranked first in both categories was in November 2017.
I believe we are seeing a correlation to the recent ransomware attacks across the nation and HIPAA Email Breaches.
Click here to download the raw data.
About the Paubox HIPAA Breach Report
The Paubox HIPAA Breach Report analyzes breaches that affected 500 or more individuals as reported in the HHS Wall of Shame in March 2018.
Minimize the risk of email getting you on the list with Paubox. Start for Free today.