The Paubox HIPAA Breach Report analyzes protected health information (PHI) breaches affecting 500 or more people as reported to the Department of Health & Human Services (HHS) in November 2020.
This report will cover:
HIPAA Breaches Ranked by People Affected
Top Three Breach Types:
- Network server breaches ranked first (as it has for previous months) with 716,294 people affected.
- Email breaches ranked second with 225,633 people affected.
- Electronic medical records ranked third with 106,455 people affected.
HIPAA Breaches Ranked by Occurrence
The Most Common
- Network server breaches are the most common vector type this month, with 14 breaches in November.
- Email is the second most common vector type with 13 breaches.
- Paper/films were the third most common vector type with 11 breaches.
Network servers continue to be the top attack vector for data breaches and affect more people in total.
AspenPointe, Inc. had the largest breach in November. 295,617 people were affected via a network server breach. Lawrence General Hospital had the second-largest breach with 176,587 people affected. This attack was also via a network server breach.
Click here to view the raw data via Google Sheets.
About the Paubox HIPAA Breach Report
The Paubox HIPAA Breach Report analyzes breaches that affected 500 or more individuals, as reported in the HHS Wall of Shame in November 2020.