The Paubox HIPAA Breach Report analyzes protected health information (PHI) breaches affecting 500 or more people as reported to the Department of Health & Human Services (HHS) in December 2019.
This report will cover:
HIPAA Breaches Ranked by People Affected
Top Three Breach Types
- Laptop breaches ranked in first place with 114,466 people’s protected health information affected.
- Email breaches ranked second with PHI of 86,150 people breached.
- Network Server breaches came in third with 60,273 people having their PHI breached.
HIPAA Breaches Ranked by Occurrence
The Most Common
- Email again took the top spot as the most common breach type in this month’s report with 12 reported breaches.
- Network Server came in second with 6 breaches.
- Electronic Medical Record placed third with 5 reported breaches.
Email as a threat vector in healthcare continues to rank as the most common entry point for bad actors.
In addition, with the current geopolitical strife with Iran, it’s quite likely nation state online attacks will cause HIPAA breaches to grow by 50% or more in 2020.
Click here to view the raw data (Google Sheets).
About the Paubox HIPAA Breach Report
The Paubox HIPAA Breach Report analyzes breaches that affected 500 or more individuals as reported in the HHS Wall of Shame in December 2019.