Are you wondering how to send emails to your patients that include PHI?
Writing meaningful emails to patients can be an effective way to communicate with them, provide information and build rapport. In the past, HIPAA compliance made it challenging to send a secured email that was easy to access for patients.
Luckily, that has changed. Doctors can now send email straight to patients’ inboxes that are HIPAA compliant and personalized with PHI.
Ten steps to writing meaningful emails to patients that include PHI
- Write a clear and concise subject line to help patients understand what the email is about.
- Use a professional and friendly tone in your email to establish trust and create a positive relationship with the patient.
- Use the patient’s name and any relevant information you have about them to make the email feel more personal. Ensure any PHI is is encrypted and secured.
- Be specific about what you are asking the patient to do. Provide clear instructions on how they can take action.
- Use bullet points or numbered lists to make it easy for the patient to read and understand your email.
- End your email with a call to action, such as asking the patient to call or email you with any questions or concerns.
- Before sending the email, proofread it for spelling and grammar errors.
- Encrypting emails ensures that only the intended recipient can access the contents of the message. This is especially important when sending PHI through email.
- Include a disclaimer in the email reminding the recipient to keep the information confidential.
- Include the appropriate opt-ins, CAN-SPAM act opt-in and make sure you have the patient’s consent.
By following these steps, you can write meaningful emails that include PHI to patients.
Paubox provides you with compliance and assurance
Paubox Marketing takes care of many CAN-SPAM and HIPAA requirements automatically. Any email you send through Paubox includes an automatic unsubscribe button as well as a section for an address footer. And since Paubox Marketing allows segmented and personalized messages, it is possible to send marketing-related emails and test results. All without violating CAN-SPAM or HIPAA but while improving patient outcomes.
If you simply want to send email that includes PHI, use Paubox Email Suite. It is the all-in-one HIPAA compliant email protection for healthcare. Keep your patients’ data secure with automatic email encryption and protect your organization with state-of-the-art email security
Not only will Paubox sign a business associate agreement, but Paubox products run on HITRUST CSF certified solutions and enables HIPAA compliant email by default. Moreover, we register our customer’s website domains on our secure platform, which allows them to send HIPAA compliant email. No need to rely on portals or passwords.
Try Paubox for free
Paubox Email Suite
Ensure every email is HIPAA compliant—without the hassle of portals or passcodes.