Lance Spitzner: “We’re nothing more than another operating system. The HumanOS.”
His Keynote was titled: Making Security Simple – It’s Really, Really Hard.
Lance was fired up on stage, which in turn got me fired up.
I was especially encouraged to hear that when it comes to enhancing security, Lance strongly recommends a focus on making the new behavior as simple as possible. In the case of Paubox and our approach to seamless encryption and HIPAA compliant email, there is no new behavior for senders to learn.
Here are my takeaways and pics from his energetic presentation:
- Lance outlined his 3 step process for making Cybersecurity Simple.
- Changing human behavior is key to managing risk.
- Lance Spitzner founded the “Honeynet Project” in 1999.
- The best security awareness officers often do not have technical backgrounds.
- “Once people interact with technology, then the game radically shifts.”
- In general, people are smart.
- Defense organizations tend to have the strongest security programs. At the other end of the spectrum, manufacturing firms.
- You can download his presentation here
Thanks for the write-up Hoala, you nailed the key highlights. Also, here is the link to the slides from my talk. Simplifying Security I feel is key to changing behavior, and a topic not discussed enough. https://t.co/DiXZlM3qQd
— Lance Spitzner (@lspitzner) March 16, 2018
Lance Spitzner’s Three Steps to Making Cybersecurity Simple:
- Teach as little as possible (be wary of cognitive overload).
- Make the new behavior as simple as possible.
- It has to be “Sue” proof (Can a non-technical person understand it?).
20 years ago, it was easy to hack default Windows OS installs.
The BJ Fogg Behavior Model – Curse of Knowledge: The more of an expert you are at something, the worse you are at communicating it
“Every behavior has a cost.” Used disabling of auto-complete within Outlook at the world’s largest bank as an example
Lance spent a good chunk of time (rightly so) on NIST Special Publication 800-63B
Infographics are great for communicating information
Lance’s 3 Takeaways for Making Security Simple (Hint: It’s Really, Really Hard)
Also, thanks for fielding my question Lance!